Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Books

OK I am going to recommend some books. These are not light fare. These are tales of struggle but they are each eye openers in their own way.
When I was first diagnosed I wanted to learn all I could about this disease and it led me down some interesting paths.



1.It's Always Something by Gilda Radner

I actually first read this back in 1989 when it first came out but I recently reread it and it is just as poignant (probably more so) today. After all, when I first read it, little did I know...




2.Memoir of a Debulked Woman: Enduring Ovarian Cancer by Susan Gubar

This book doesn't pull any punches. It is dark and gritty but you can feel the strength of the author shine through. I read this before I had my own surgery which probably wasn't the best idea because it scared the crap out of me. Still, what this lady endured inspires me to try harder.



3.Pretty Is What Changes by Jessica Queller

I read this after I found out I was brca positive. Although this book deals with the decisions the author struggled with upon learning of her brca status, it is also a story of a Mother/daughter/sister relationship and how their lives were affected by the illness and death of their mother.



4.The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Everyone should know this lady's name. Henrietta died of cancer in 1951 but unbeknownst to her ,
her cells live on. It is fascinating. It raises a lot of ethical questions. Just read it.


Love,
Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment