Friday, March 23, 2012

1st Chemotherapy

3/19/12
I arrive at Dr. B's for my first go at chemo. Dave and I are taken into a room that contains a bed, chair,t.v.-pretty much looks like a hospital room.
Here I meet my chemo nurse Nancy. Dr. B. and Dr.N. also come by to see me.
I tell them I am ready to "open up a can of whoop-ass on the cancer". I have on my game face. Everyone smiles. Nancy inserts a hep-lock. First they draw labs-this is done each time.
The results determine whether I'll receive the chemo.

As we await the lab results, Nancy explains the whole process to me and Dave.
My labs come back and we are good to go.
First I take a handful of pills to combat nausea and allergies. I recognize several-there is benadryl and ativan-I am going to be stoned out of my gourd.
I am also given something iv for nausea. Nancy explains that the next time I will take it in pill form (after the insurance company approves my script of course)

Nancy prepares to hang the 1st drug. She and another nurse carefully check the bag and my bracelet and have me verbally identify myself to them. This is standard procedure that will be followed for each drug.
The first med I receive is Taxol. It is given very slowly-I am feeling the effects of the oral meds so I doze on and off.

Next I am given Carboplatin. I drift in and out. I look at Dave. He is playing a game on the computer tablet I brought. In fact I brought several items to combat boredom-books, puzzles-I am too sleepy to bother. I have a whole tote now, that I call my "chemo bag"
I have my growing file of medical records and appointments, meds,directions and phone numbers inside. I brought crackers and water too.

Soon everything is over and my iv line is flushed and removed.
Nancy gives me a list of instructions and meds I need to take post-chemo for 3 days.
In actuality it has taken about 5 hours for the whole process.
I am given an appointment card for the following Monday for my 2nd treatment.

Dave and I go home.

Love, Dixie


I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment