Monday, October 29, 2012

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

However....





Cancer sucks regardless of whatever pretty ribbons we wrap it in. I'm not knocking the pink ribbon-hell it has probably brought more attention, awareness, and research dollars to breast cancer than any other campaign in the history of disease. (Maybe with the exception of the aids red ribbon, but I'm not sure) Truly, brilliant marketing strategy. Everywhere I've looked this month, America has had a swipe of pink, from pro football all the way to the White House, which actually was bathed in pink lighting earlier this month. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know it.

I just wonder how many people remember that last month, September was Ovarian Cancer awareness month?
I just want people to keep in mind that 70 percent of all ovarian cancer diagnosed is not found until it has metastasized. The American Cancer Society's most recent estimates for ovarian cancer in the United States are for 2012:

About 22,280 new cases of ovarian cancer this year
About 15,500 deaths from ovarian cancer this year

And I mean that before those vague symptoms send you to the doctor you are already a stage 3 or even 4. There is no stage 5.
I hate to think of where I would be in my treatment right now if I hadn't developed ascites. And ascites is by no means an early symptom. That is just what got me to the doctor. Everything else-indigestion, fatigue, constipation, were just vague symptoms that I either ignored or attributed to other things and attempted to fix myself.

There are no set routine screening protocols available either.
I guess what I want to say is "listen to your bodies and if you have a history of ovarian or breast cancer in your family, please talk about it with your doctor. If they don't want to listen then dump their ass and find someone who will."

If you believe there is something wrong, then ask your doctor to order a trans- vaginal ultrasound and a CT scan, and might as well check your CA-125 too. If they tell you that there is no reason, or that you can't be ill, then you tell them to "Prove it" Until there is a set protocol for screening for ovarian cancer,
We have to be proactive and must be our own advocates.

Have a great day.
It's raining today, but you know what?
I have an umbrella. :)

Love,
Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment